Dear Family,

I am thrilled that Dad is sending his devotionals by email. He has a wealth of wisdom. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" Proverbs 9:10. The treasure trove of gems he daily mines from God's Word and the books he reads become more precious as he shares them. Miles separate us, but cyberspace has stepped in to bring us closer together and enable Dad to share in this way. I am posting his devotionals on Blogger by request of many who wanted to be "adopted family" in order to read his devotionals.

Because I have often wanted to share photographs, slide shows, and short home movies with you, I am starting a blog for that purpose. Dad bought me a digital camera in spite of my protests, but I have enjoyed using it and wish to share the joy in the photos I have taken.

In our earlier days much of our lives was documented with slides. However, slides cannot be enjoyed unless they are projected on a screen--that is, until the dawn of the digital world. I have scanned all those slides on to my computer, but here they sit. Now, with the help of Blogger, I can share them with you as I have time to upload them, and you can view them at your leisure.

I'm sure these iMages will evoke memories, and I hope you will not mind indulging my musings. Also, there may by memos I wish to share from time to time.

Friday, January 2, 2009

Whiter than snow





Dear Kids,

May I remind you of the poem that I would post on our bulletin board each year? It was to remind us the importance of each step we take and that there is forgiveness for the bad tracks we had left behind the past year. Oh, the blessedness of sins forgiven and the challenge of living a life pleasing to the Lord! Here’s the poem:

The New Year lies before you as a blanket of fresh snow.
Be careful how you tread it for every step will show.



In the places we have lived, we have had no want of beautiful snow to remind us that through the blood of Jesus, “though your sins be as scarlet they shall be as white as snow…“ Isaiah 1:18. 23, and “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow” Psalm 51:7.

We wish for you in this New Year of 2009 a constant awareness of these two things: the precious price paid for forgiveness of sin and the importance of a godly walk.

Love,

Mom





The first photo at the top of this post is the view from our home under construction here in Hoonah. The next photo was taken in Ninilchik, Alaska, viewing Mt. Redoubt across Cook Inlet. The next photo was taken on a hike to a glacier near our Haines, Alaska-home near U.S./Canada border. The third photo pictures our home in Littleton, New Hampshire. And can we ever forget our beloved home in Reuke, Japan, pictured in these last two photos?--No lack of snow in any of these places!

1 comment:

Becky Roland said...

I love the pictures. The memories are wonderful! I'll always remember a trip in a car with you and another lady when I was about 4. We sang "Nothing but the blood of Jesus... Oh precious is the flow, that washed us white as snow..."