Dear Family,

I am thrilled that Dad is sending his devotionals by email. He has a wealth of wisdom. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" Proverbs 9:10. The treasure trove of gems he daily mines from God's Word and the books he reads become more precious as he shares them. Miles separate us, but cyberspace has stepped in to bring us closer together and enable Dad to share in this way. I am posting his devotionals on Blogger by request of many who wanted to be "adopted family" in order to read his devotionals.

Because I have often wanted to share photographs, slide shows, and short home movies with you, I am starting a blog for that purpose. Dad bought me a digital camera in spite of my protests, but I have enjoyed using it and wish to share the joy in the photos I have taken.

In our earlier days much of our lives was documented with slides. However, slides cannot be enjoyed unless they are projected on a screen--that is, until the dawn of the digital world. I have scanned all those slides on to my computer, but here they sit. Now, with the help of Blogger, I can share them with you as I have time to upload them, and you can view them at your leisure.

I'm sure these iMages will evoke memories, and I hope you will not mind indulging my musings. Also, there may by memos I wish to share from time to time.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sweet Memories of Mother


Mother And Daddy and their four kids at Hudson's wedding, May 23, 1988

Dear Kids,

I am thinking a lot about my mother today because of the sixth anniversary of her going to be with the Lord. And, of course, along with thinking of her, memories of Daddy are there, too. They cannot be separated. Three years sooner than Mother, on February 10, he met his Savior face to face.

I have been blessed indeed with the most loving, caring, sacrificing, giving parents I could have had. And what a heritage they left us children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren! Can we ever be grateful enough?

Though the majority of my years were lived miles apart from them, yet they were always near. They made it so with their letters and visits--and always their love. There was never reason to doubt that they always wanted the best for each one of their children and grandchildren. Our lives were the center of their lives. They lived for us. I understand that now that you children are out of the nest and most of you many miles away. Your joys are our joys; your burdens and sorrows are ours also. Mother and Daddy wanted each one of us to love and serve the Lord they loved—the same desire we have for each of you and your children.

I have been recalling the last days with Mother. What a joy it was to see her looking forward to seeing her Savior! What a privilege it was being in the inner sanctum! How sacred! How special! And how privileged that all four of her children could be there with her! How precious it was to hear her express concern for each of you, my children, in those last lucid moments.

Mother, though gone, is still my guiding light. Throughout my life I have strived for her virtues. I’m still reaching. And I’ll be reaching until the day I die.

Now, it is our place to strive to be the parents and grandparents that will inspire each of you to love and glorify the Lord. What a responsibility! May we carry on the torch by His enabling grace and mercy.

Lovingly, Mom


Taken November 2000 at our church in Ninilchik

1 comment:

Marlene Blough said...

Here's a comment Vicky sent to my email:

"Recently, Grandma Bingham's memory has been coming to my mind and into my thoughts. While Abi was visiting Hudson one weekend before coming home for Christmas break, Hud called me and said that he was selling their Honda Acura and asked me about my ring that I lost when shifting the Acura back in 1992. (It was the gold graduation ring I received from Grandma Bingham.) It was a little too big for me and slipped off into a place that we couldn't reach without tearing the car apart. Anyway, before letting the car go, he tore the seat and middle consul apart and Abi helped him find it. They didn't tell me that they found it--so when Abi came home for Christmas, she presented it to me. This may sound silly, but the ring was always a reminder to act properly and make Grandma Bingham proud. When I do something to improve my home or set the table properly, I think, "This would make Grandma Bingham smile." Last year, when I taught a workshop on hospitality to my 4-H Cooking project club, I was very surprised at how many kids did not know how to properly set the table. (Most of the kids were from our church!) Poor kids! They never had a Grandma Bingham to influence their lives!"